Monday 9 July 2012

Places I love in London: Gelupo

So, a while back, I said that I'd write - as the  mood struck me - about my favourite places to eat and drink in London.  Today:  Gelupo.  I love Italian ice-cream.  It was love at first taste.  Italian ice-cream somehow managest to taste more like its flavour than the actual flavour does - Italian lemon sorbet is more lemoney than actual lemons, Italian blood orange sorbet tastes more like oranges than they do..  Above all else, Italian ice-cream tastes like Italy - like sunshine.

I have sampled a lot of Italian ice-cream in London in a quest to find this experience closer to home.  It was a tough job but someone had to do it.  There is a lot of lovely Italian ice-cream in London.  Marine Ices is reliably tasty and has a great range of sorbets, especially.  Gelateria Danielli once served me some truly extraodinary blackberry sorbet.  Cafe Chai, down the road from where I used to work, was a great source of "I've had a bad day, I need some Italian ice-cream" pickmeups (and, again, is particularly good for sorbets - I used to particularly enjoy their pink grapefuit sorbet).

But the winner has to be Gelupo.    The first time I had their blood orange granita, I spent the whole weekend talking about it to everyone I met.  Yes, I was a granita bore. But it actually was that good.  I actually don't usually like granita that much, too icy and not enough fruit, but Gelupo's granitas are amongst the nicest things I have ever eaten.  The sorbets are delicious too - the blood orange one is lovely but so too is the clementine and..  well, basically, they're all good.  And, then, the ice-cream itself - I had the peanut butter ice cream yesterday with a scoop of bitter chocolate and.. well, suffice to say, I just want to talk about it for the rest of the week..

No comments:

Post a Comment